R&L Motors – The Best Garage in Widnes
Is your vehicle damaged or has a fault which is preventing you from either using it or that it’s not allowed on the road due to legal reasons, and are you based in Widnes? If the answer is yes, then you may be pleased to know that here at R&L Motors we are considered as the best garage in the Widnes area, our expertly trained mechanics can conquer any vehicle fault and can have it up and running again for you.
We provide a number of services in the Widnes area including:
- Car Servicing: Do you need your vehicle serviced? We pride ourselves on the quality of our vehicle and car servicing, offering a fast and reliable service at far lower costs than a main dealer, without ever compromising on the work that we provide. We will carry out only the car repairs and service work that is required to make sure your car is running at its optimum. Unlike many other garages, we won’t tell you there’s another 50 something faults when you only wanted the one thing repairing, we are one of the few honest and trustworthy garages located in Widnes. Our car servicing is fully guaranteed and importantly does not affect your car’s warranty due to our using genuine parts as standard.
- Clutch Repairs: Have you noticed it’s a little harder to find the bite, change gears and just pulling off in general? There may be a problem with your clutch. Luckily we can repair this for you and have you on your way in no time at all. After a lot of heavy driving (and bad driving too), you will burn through your clutch, if it’s acting up, you will need to get it repaired ASAP as it’s one of the main parts in your vehicle. I have known a taxi driver who burns through clutches almost once a month (but that’s down to bad driving), if you’re unfortunate enough to have your clutch go on you, don’t worry our mechanics can fix it in no time at all!
- Exhaust Repairs: We offer all types of exhaust repairs and replacements for your vehicle. We are happy to give you a free exhaust check to make sure that you are not at risk of doing damage to your vehicle or even to yourself by driving with a faulty exhaust, as the fumes from the engine won’t have an easy way to escape from your vehicle and these fumes are poisonous.
- Brake Repairs: Have you noticed that slowing down is much harder than it should be, even if you’re only driving in second or third gear? Then there is something wrong with your brakes and you need to get them repaired ASAP. Faulty brakes, including brake lights are dangerous and makes your vehicle be classed as illegal on the roads. You won’t be able to slow down for traffic, pedestrians and corners and bends, this is putting you, other drivers, pedestrians and your passengers in danger. Luckily our mechanics can repair and even replace brake systems for you, so you can be back on the roads in no time at all!
- Tyres: We offer a full range of new and even used (pre-owned) tyres for your vehicle. We are happy to give you a free tyre safety check to make sure that you are legally. We offer a number of different types of tyres, from standard road tyres, tyres with extra grip on them and even tyres built for driving on icy roads and snow, these are especially good for the winter season when we don’t know what the weather will be like in a few hours. Our mechanics can replace your tyres in no time at all and you can be sure that you’ll be back on the roads safely soon!
- MOT Repairs: This service is for when you have already took your vehicle to be tested for its MOT at a registered MOT Centre, but the prices that they have asked you to pay for the repairs seem too unfair to you. Almost all of the time, we can beat the prices that most MOT Centres charge and you can even ring us up after your MOT to tell us what’s gone wrong with your vehicle and we’ll quote you there and then, and we’ll tell you if the price they’re asking for is an acceptable price or if they’re just trying to swindle extra money out of your pocket. Our MOT Repairs is one of our most prized services and it is available to everyone located in Widnes.
- Classic Vehicle Restoration: This service is fantastic if you own a classic car, bike, scooter, van or even truck. We basically re-build the vehicle so that it is restored back into what it used to look like in its days of glory. If the paintwork or even interior of your vehicle is damaged due to age, then bring it down and we can make it look and work like how it would have when it first came out of its factory many years ago. This service however can take a while, but we will keep you updated with photos of each step of the process so you can see your prised vehicle slowly come back to life.
If you would like to know a bit more information on the services that we have talked about in this article, or you would like a no-obligation free quote, then please don’t hesitate to get into contact with us today and a member of our friendly team will be in touch with you shortly regarding any unanswered questions you may have, quotes or even how to advance to the next steps and to get your vehicle repaired so you can have fun driving it on the roads again! Remember if you’re looking for garages in Widnes, R&L Motors are considered to be the best garage in Widnes and we’re located just behind the Tesco in the town centre. We look forward to hearing from you soon!
Here at R&L Motors we can supply and fit new car tyres made by various quality tyre brands, our Garage located in Widnes has an expert team who can replace your tyres for you within a matter of minutes! Widnes is home to our professional and efficient tyre fitting service which aim is to deliver a high standard of service, coupled with knowledge and skill that allows our team to ensure your safety on the roads when fitting Tyres Widnes.
Getting your tyres changed doesn’t always have to be a bit of a nuisance, and our team will work quickly to ensure your car is ready to grip the road again. With over 500 fittings done every 6 months, we can provide fittings or deliveries, and our team can help you choose the right tyres for your vehicle and driving style.
Our complete range of tyres includes budget, mid-range, premium and cold weather, whilst we also regularly provide wheel and tyre packages. We’re always on hand to offer help and support, and you can call us, request a call-back, use our live help service or send us over an email, and a member of team will be able to guide you through the ordering process.
We sell a wide range of cheap car tyres in Widnes from quality Tyre Brands including Pirelli, Michelin, Goodyear, BF Goodrich, Avon, Bridgestone, Continental, Uniroyal, Toyo and Dunlop in and around Widnes. If you would like to know more about our Tyres Widnes, then please don’t hesitate to get into contact with us and a member of our friendly garage team will be in touch with you shortly.
Here at R&L Motors we may not specialise in doing the MOT itself, but we do carry out the MOT repairs, for when a MOT centre has asked for a price too high, or you feel that you have been scammed. If you feel like you have been scammed by an MOT Centre, then please call in your vehicle to us and we’ll check everything for you. However, if you want to avoid the scam altogether, then this article is exactly what you’re looking for.
The following is a list of just some of the criminal practices that have been recorded in association with the MOT trade. If you are getting your car MOT’d or you are buying a car then check them out to ensure you are not caught out, as this could end up causing you a hefty price tag on unnecessary repairs.
By far the most common deception is the practice of failing items on the test when they are perfectly okay, this is known by almost everybody and choosing a trustworthy MOT Centre these days can be quite hard!
It is very easy for a disreputable testing station to quickly replace a headlamp bulb with a non-working one, or damage a wiper blade or change the adjustment of the headlights. An experienced mechanic can do these things in seconds and then they will try and tell you that the part hasn’t been working for ages, just to get a few hundred out of your pocket, obviously this is illegal, but many get away with it.
More serious offenses can even include things such as slitting CV gaiters, tampering with catalytic convertors and falsely reporting brake or emissions tests. If a testing station fits tyres then look out for mysteriously appearing cuts or damage to the side walls of tyres. A disreputable MOT Centre will try at least one thing during each MOT test that they carry out, take photo’s and take notice of what works and what doesn’t before leaving your vehicle with them as this will be your only leg to stand on when they try and tell you something is broken, when you know it was working before you brought it in. It’s not just shady looking garages who do this either, large national garages are also known for doing things like this, like Kwik-Fit for instance:
Not Performing the Test Properly (or at all) – Now we are dealing with outright criminality.
There are numerous examples of ‘bargain’ MOT testing stations charging incredibly low prices for MOTs and then not performing the test at all. In some cases the tests will be rushed, sometimes the car will go in and out of the garage without anything being done and it’s not unknown for cars to pass the MOT without even moving into the garage. There is however an easy way to avoid this, place something near your vehicles wheel (so it’s not quite wedged, but so that it won’t move and will only be crushed with the car moves, like an empty can of Coke or an empty plastic bottle, then if the item is crushed, you know your vehicle has actually entered the garage, if not, don’t pay. A small, hidden camera in your vehicle can even make sure the garage team actually does something, instead of parking it into their garage and just leaving it there for an hour or two without touching it.
You may ask why you would care as long as you get your pass but given that the MOT is concerned with ensuring your vehicle meets basic safety criteria you would be mad to not want it done properly. Especially if you have children in your car, you would be putting them at risk during every journey, even if it is just a school run!
In addition to the issue of your safety, if the garage is caught it may be that past certificates it has issued will be considered void in which case you could be unknowingly driving a vehicle whose insurance would be void. This, in turn, would be illegal and could result in points, and or a fine and even imprisonment. Obviously, if you keep track of your records and make notes of things that are working/not working will help you fight this as it isn’t your fault at all!
Why take the chance? Cameras Catch MOT Fraud
Fake Certificates – Possibly the worse of the MOT frauds is the issuing of fake ‘certificates’.
In reality since the system changed (in 2011) you no longer receive a real certificate from the testing station. What you get is a piece of paper (a VT20 pass or VT30 fail) that you can supposedly use as proof that the MOT has been done. This means that disreputable MOT Centres can easily fake these as they can be done by using things as simple as Microsoft Word and they take no skill to fake.
The problem is that this ‘piece of paper’ is just that. It is ridiculously easy to fake and anyone with a computer and the most basic of word processing skills can do it. If you have been given one of these recently (even if you think its real) check the Government’s MOT Checker website as this will tell you if your MOT was real or fake.
The actual ‘certificate’ is now recorded online on a government website and you can check your vehicles status yourself. While this fraud is not that common in testing stations themselves it is something to be aware of when buying a car. Never trust the paper ‘certificate’ the owner provides you. Instead get the vehicles identification number, the test number from the VT20 (pass) or VT30 (fail) and use the government MOT checker to verify it is real (found here: MOT Checker). If you don’t carry out these simple checks, you could find yourself in a heap of trouble for something that is completely not your fault, although if you do keep records etc. then these could be used as evidence if you are ever taken to court/prosecuted over it.
What Can I Do To Avoid Being Ripped Off?
Use an ‘MOT Only’ testing station – Any testing station that only does the MOT and does not offer any kind of repair service has no incentive to rip you off by unfairly failing your vehicle and are therefore extremely unlikely to do so. After all there is nothing in it for them so why would they? Although if your vehicle does fail its test in one of these testing centres, then you can always bring your vehicle into our garage, you can be sure you won’t find a better service at a lower price than ours in the Widnes area!
Do the Simple Checks before you take your Vehicle for Its MOT
Performing the simple checks that anyone can do will reduce the chances of being ripped off considerably. The items that unscrupulous testing stations will attempt to con you on are for the most part the simplest items to check. Dodgy testing stations don’t want to fail your vehicle on complex items that will take time and effort to fix as there is more incentive for you to search out a main dealer or specialist. The things you need to look out for are Wipers (make sure they work before bringing your car in), Tyres (check for nails in the tyres themselves and tears/damages to the wheels themselves before bringing it in) and other simple little things like this are exactly what these dodgy MOT Centres mess with to milk more money out of you.
The crooks will mainly fail small items that are quick and easy to fix and that will only require parts available from the local auto factors. These items will take them minutes to fix and the parts will only cost a few quid but they will charge you a huge mark ups. Easy money for them! If you feel you’re being ripped off, bring your vehicle in and we can promise you that you’ll be paying less!
How Can I Tell What’s Going On?
All MOT Testing centres must have a viewing area. It’s part of their license to operate that they have one. If you are unsure about the testing station and want to see what is going on with your vehicle then ask to be shown the viewing area. If they don’t have one or they make some silly excuse up, then leave!
How Do I Know They Did the Test?
As you no longer get an MOT certificate as proof of your vehicles MOT status (just an easily forged printout) the government has a website that allows you to check the MOT status of any vehicle. To check the MOT status of your vehicle or one you are considering buying then use the governments MOT Checker. This is the easiest and quickest way for you to find out if the vehicle you own/looking to buy actually has passed its MOT and that it’s safe to be on the roads.
If you found this article helpful, then please keep checking our News page as new articles are added quite regularly. Alternatively if you are in need of MOT Repairs in Widnes due to a MOT Centre trying to scam you for extra money, or you would just like some more information on our services, then please don’t hesitate to contact us and a member of our friendly team will be in touch with you shortly
Car Restorations & Rebuilds
Do you own a classic car that’s just sitting in your garage because it can’t run anymore or because the paintwork has worn away and you don’t want it to become damaged? Well here at R&L Motors we can bring back your car to its former glory, to the pride and joy of years gone past. We love to restore or to modify your classic cars beyond manufacturer’s wildest dreams. We can have it running on the road again and it will even look like its just came out of its factory again.
We have a passion for everything motoring; cars, bikes, trucks, four wheel drives. That’s why we understand that it takes care and dedication when it comes to a project, especially a restoration project, we dedicate a large amount of time in making sure every nook and cranny is completely restored to what it would look like when it was first made.
Classic car restoration takes time and skill, most panel shops don’t have the time or the ability to restore or modify classic cars. We are different, we love it! Our skilled body builders, panel beaters, spray painters and mechanics have years of experience and can’t wait to work on a vintage or classic car, bike or even scooter. So call us to day and turn back the time on your classic vehicle.
Common rebuild work includes:
- Rust work
- Panel re-manufacturing
- Panel modification, flares, rolled panels
- Lift kits
- Engine rebuilds
- Colour restorations, or application of original colour
- Bare metal re-sprays
- Other repairs to the vehicle (e.g. brakes, indicators, damaged windows etc.)
Whatever the job big or small, we’ll get it done for you and you can have your old pride and joy back on the road in no time at all! If you’re interested in our Classic Car Restorations Widnes, or you would like some more information on the other services that we provide, then please don’t hesitate to get into contact with us and a member of our friendly team will be in touch with you shortly.
How to Maintain your car’s exterior image – a brief guide with R&L Motors
Here at R&L Motors Widnes, we always enjoy giving helpful tips to our customers in the Widnes community, today we’ll be talking about how to maintain your cars exterior image. To keep your car looking as good as new and help maintain its value, one of the main areas to concentrate your time and effort on is the exterior. This is not only the first thing a potential buyer will notice, but if kept in good condition, could also extend the lifetime of the vehicle. Obviously we re now heading into the colder Autumn & Winter months, and with the inevitable road-gritting that goes hand in hand with this time of year, it is very important to make sure you keep your car’s paintwork spotless. If left for an extended period of time, the salt from the roads can lead to alloy wheel corrosion and rust spots appearing on your car’s bodywork, which is something we all want to try and avoid!
There are many causes that will make your car’s appearance look bad, the road-gritters is just one example of this, but there are other elements such; as bird droppings, tree sap, bugs and re-surfacing works, which could also cause damage to your car’s paintwork. The key to keeping your car’s exterior in tip top condition really couldn’t be simpler; wash it regularly, wax it often and make sure any paintwork scuffs and scratches are repaired as soon as they occur.
Here are some more of our top tips for maintaining your car’s paintwork:
- Clean your alloys regularly during the Winter months to stop road salt causing corrosion.
- Get any paintwork scratches and scuffs repaired asap – if left too long the damage will become much worse.
- Be careful not to rub dirt and grime into the car paintwork when you wash it, as it could cause minor scratches.
- When washing your car, make sure you use products designed for the purpose to avoid any potentially costly mishaps!
- Keep your distance from the car in front – not just for safety reasons, but also to avoid those nasty stone chips.
- Make sure you wash your car regularly to remove dirt before it builds up and becomes much harder to wash off.
- Wax your car’s paintwork every 3 months to help maintain colour and shine, but it may be necessary to wax more regularly during the harsher Winter months.
For more information on how to properly care for your car, or if you’d like to hear about our other great services, please don’t hesitate to get into contact with us and a member of our friendly team will be in touch with you shortly.